This Master recipe is our Best Walnut Bread Recipe for Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread.
Table of contents
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BEST WALNUT BREAD RECIPE
It’s an easy, foolproof recipe that makes an incredibly good walnut bread. The key is in using a whole kernel, stone ground, artisan flour for the whole wheat flour portion. It’s worth the trouble of seeking out something really special.
We make up a batch of dough in minutes and put it in the refrigerator overnight. The overnight refrigeration allows the bread to rise slowly, improving the flavor, and creating a dough that doesn’t need much kneading. It makes two loaves that can be baked on different days, anytime in the next four days. It comes out perfect and is great for sandwiches.
This recipe is three quarters all purpose flour and one quarter whole wheat flour. This seems to be the ratio that makes a really good sandwich bread without the whole wheat being overwhelming or causing the bread to crumble. It includes honey and oil because the germ is included in the whole wheat flour, so it needs some enrichment. Variations on this recipe can be made by changing the butter to oil, using different flavors of honey, using whole wheat flour from different mills and adding nuts or grains.
TIPS FOR MAKING BREAD
- Use the best ingredients – brands matter! We included the brands we used.
- The dough is made one day, and then refrigerated for 1 to 4 days, making baking flexible.
- A stand mixer makes bread making so much easier.
- A thermometer is needed to test the temperature of the milk – the temperature is very important.
- Use a scale to measure the ingredients – it is much more accurate and this is especially important when baking. Measuring flour with a measuring cup can be off by as much as a third. Put the mixing bowl on the scale and zero the scale before adding each ingredient – so easy. Measuring by weight is so important that all the measurements are given in grams so you will have no choice. You can thank me later.
HOW THIS BREAD FITS INTO OUR PLAN TO EAT BETTER:
While looking for the best ingredients to make this bread, we discovered that many companies that care about quality also care about sustainability. This made a huge dent in our carbon footprint. We have listed the brands for some of the ingredients because ingredients are everything. These brands give superior results. And by using brands like Horizon butter and milk we cut our carbon footprint (see: we cut our carbon footprint in half ) and are helping to control climate change.