A tomato tart is a nice summertime celebration of the tomato.
An elegant brunch item which can be made ahead. And though it looks special, it is easy to make since it is a basic tart shell with cheese and tomato.
- food processor
- tart pan
- 54 grams Horizon butter weighed after browned and cooled until solid
- 150 grams King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon Wholesome organic sugar
- 85 grams Horizon butter
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Bourbon ice cold (or other 80 proof alcohol)
- 2 Tablespoons water ice cold
- 6 to 8 apples Granny Smith, Macintosh, or Yellow Delicious
- 100 grams King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
- 100 grams Wholesome organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons Horizon butter
- 2 Tablespoons Wholesome organic sugar
- Brown about 60 grams of butter and allow to cool until solid before starting the tart. This can be done days ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator.
- Put 90 grams of the flour in the food processor and reserve the rest. Add the sugar and pulse once or twice.
- Slice the 85 grams of butter and the 54 grams of browned butter into 1/4 inch pieces and add to the flour and sugar in the food processor.
- Process until the dough starts to look like large cottage cheese, about ten seconds.
- Scrape down the bowl, add the rest of the flour and the maple syrup and pulse a few times.
- Put the flour mixture into a bowl.
- Combine the bourbon and water and sprinkle over the flour mixture.
- Using a spatula, press the mixture together.
- Press the mixture into a compact, 4 inch disk wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for an hour, or overnight.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out between two pieces of lightly floured parchment paper until it is about 1/8 inch thick and will fill the tart with a little overhang.
- Transfer it to the tart pan. Work it down into the shape of the pan without stretching the dough.
- Refrigerate the tart for an hour or overnight. Roll the rolling pin over the top of the tarts to cut off the excess dough.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples and arrange in circles in the tart with each slice overlapping.
- Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon together and spread over the apples. Cut the butter in pieces and distribute over the top of the tart.
- Sprinkle sugar over the top.
- Bake until light brown and crisp, about 30 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!