Sour cream is really very easy to make. Just pour cream into the yogurt maker, add the starter culture and turn it on. That’s it.
We use a Dash yogurt maker, which is super easy to use, and a sour cream starter from Cultures for Health. We have given links to the companies’ websites for the yogurt maker and the starter, but both of are also available on Amazon. Even better, this is an eco-friendly swap because Horizon is taking action on climate change to be carbon positive in just 4 years.
REASONS TO MAKE IT YOURSELF:
- You can use your favorite brand of cream. We use Horizon – it’s organic, tastes great, and they are taking action on climate change to be carbon positive in just 4 years.
- You will know that the sour cream contains nothing but cream and starter culture.
- The starter culture is dry and lasts for months, so it’s easy to have on hand.
- You can wait and make it only when you need it, instead of buying it just in case you might need it and having it take up refrigerator space.
- It can be is less expensive than buying sour cream.
- Dash yogurt maker
- Add cream.
- Add starter culture.
- Stir a few seconds.
- Set yogurt maker for 24 hours and press start button.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
In case you were wondering, we have no affiliates, and are not compensated in any way for products we mention on our site. We just love good products.